Soft Lampshade Workshops
This all day workshop will teach you how to make either a tailored, gathered or pleated lampshade using traditional methods to a professional level.
The workshop teaches you how to do the following:
- Bind your lampshade frame with cotton tape.
- Position your fabric to your frame, pinning into place to create the perfect cover taking into account pattern placement.
- Learn how to make a soft ‘balloon’ lining for your lampshade.
- Hand stitch your front cover and inner lining onto the frame.
- Learn how to make your own trim to finish and decorate your lampshade
- Use different fabric types.
This course runs for approximately six hours, depending on your current sewing ability and speed.
The workshop cost for a one to one session is £120. This price includes a small straight empire shade frame and binding tape but does not include the fabric as you will want to choose a fabric to suit your own home.
There is a lot of hand sewing involved which is time consuming so you may need to finish some of the making of the shade in your own time.
I will demonstrate the making of the lampshade and also provide you with written instructions and diagrams to take away with you if you need to complete your lampshade at home.
If you live nearby you could break down the six hour session into two x three hour sessions at the same cost if you prefer. I aim to be as flexible as possible.
The making of a tailored lampshade involves minimal use of a sewing machine. I am happy for you to have the use of mine but if you prefer to use your own then please feel free to bring it along with you.
What you will need to bring with you:
- Half a metre of your own fabric. The fabric needs to have enough stretch on the bias so I recommend you bring a plain dupion silk. (If you bring a patterned fabric please be aware that the fabric is going to be cut on the bias so the pattern may not sit in the correct direction).
- Half a metre of stretch lining fabric. I can advise you on this prior to the class or you can purchase this from me on the day.
- Thread to match your outer fabric.
- Your own sewing machine if preferred.
- A thimble if you choose to use one – I find this an essential piece of equipment when making soft lampshades.
I will provide tea, coffee, soft drinks and biscuits but you will need to bring a packed lunch with you.
I can offer a reduced rate if you and a few friends would like to hold a small group class at your home.
Why not book a place as a gift for someone? Gift vouchers available on request – no expiry date and they can be used at any of my classes.
Below is a calendar of upcoming event dates:
See the Calendar of Events page for upcoming Soft Lampshade Workshops.
Many thanks, Jan.
Email – email@example.com
Mobile – 07974 390123
Disclaimer – Beware, lampshade making can become addictive!